Battle for Dwater
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The old BfDW forum - no game, just talk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Building Trust

+3
[GA]comatose
Skidz
[GM]Megaslayer
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Building Trust Empty Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:49 am

[GM]Megaslayer

[GM]Megaslayer
Admin
Admin

We recently found out, happenstance, a few players had tremendous amounts of gold on their characters. Amounts that you can't attain through normal means. In testing we were able to find out the cause and correct the issue, but I ask myself why was this not reported by any of these players? Didn't it seem odd to acquire so much gold in a short period?

now consider...

How long has this been going on? What level of impact would this have on our economy if we hadn't caught this now? I can assure you the effects would have been negative and the price for such would be paid by innocent players of BfDW. Players who didn't know.

Being part of a community means we must all work together to preserve growth and balance. I expected more from our community... from these players. if you find a wallet on the ground with 200$ and put into your pocket... does it mean that it's okay because you don't know that person? It's not the amount... it's the principle.

While issues like this can and will arise we do rely heavily on our players to help inform us. We work hard to correct bugs so that you can enjoy BfDW for what it is intended for. Is it okay to complain when something doesn't work the way you want it to, but when you find something the benefits you, which it's hard to believe seemed normal... you don't think to question it?

This was the first time I felt let down. I'm sure it won't be the last. No names will be mentioned. Also, the Dwater team is accepting fault and taking no personal actions. I will however accept personal fault for the words I wrote in our Welcome Thread. I mislead readers in speaking so highly of our players and community. I thought I spoke for everyone as a community, but it seems I wasn't. I have failed you and for that I am sorry.

This issue has been corrected. I ask you to give feedback on the adjusted snob box drop rates so we can find the right balance.

2Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:22 am

Skidz

Now we talking
Now we talking

I think 2x OS rate or a little boost-up on drop rate
It's not that hard to get a snob box then
But consider the fact that you have a small chance to get a lvl 4 and even a smaller chance to get a lvl 5

And yeah it's a shame these people taking advantage of it
I mean sure you could get an ammount of it. (finders keepers)
But afterwhile you should tell the GM abt this

I hope this gold was taken away from them? since they got it due unfair play/buggs[code]

3Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:42 am

[GM]Megaslayer

[GM]Megaslayer
Admin
Admin

While we do want the rate a little higher than OS, lvl 5 coins were just dropping too much. The gold isn't going to be taken away. Only a handful of people benefited, but I hope they realize the impact and how that can affect a server so early in the game.

4Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:38 am

Skidz

Now we talking
Now we talking

[GM]Megaslayer wrote: I hope they realize the impact and how that can affect a server so early in the game.

Yeah, Inflation FTW!

5Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:13 am

[GA]comatose

[GA]comatose
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador

[GM]Megaslayer wrote:I will however accept personal fault for the words I wrote in our Welcome Thread. I mislead readers in speaking so highly of our players and community. I thought I spoke for everyone as a community, but it seems I wasn't. I have failed you and for that I am sorry.

Mega, please do not take these things too personally. You cannot control the actions of others, only learn from them. You did not fail the community, those players did. I'm hoping to find a better grade of player here than on other servers. I do hope your player base will be mature enough in the future to report issues rather than benefit from them.

http://battle-for-dwater.net16.net/

6Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:38 am

[GM]PierceME

[GM]PierceME
Admin
Admin

I wanted the snobs removed completely and the players stripped of cash. I was overruled. It is our fault. Not any sort of exploit, just taken advantage of.

It pains me to know that although we hear of every bug and glitch that affects the players in any way shape or form, not a word was mentioned about the the fortune coin issue, which could have killed the server's economy and shut us down.

We will continue doing what we love here. it hurts yes, but we have soo many players that are very happy with DWater. What happened sucks, but we aren't stopping.

And Mega needs to go back to sleep, if you are running a fever and throwing up, get away from the computer and into a bed with a bucket.

7Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:08 am

[GA]rink245

[GA]rink245
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador

I know I benefited from this. Up to 300 mil or so. However, I spent 14+ hours there easily trying to lvl and just so happened to get SVB's there as well.

However you have to look at this way. I didn't know that snob boxes were messed up, and I'm sure many of the other people I was lvling with didn't know that they were bugged either. I noticed that the 5's were dropping a lot, but I know other lvl coins dropped a lot too. The only way to fix this would be take the SVB's out or just lower the rate of the lv 5 coins. However there wouldn't have been any way for a player to tell if the boxes were bugged or not.

Last edited by rink245 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total

8Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:15 am

[GA]comatose

[GA]comatose
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador

I'll play devil's advocate as well. I've played on upwards to about half a dozen pservers now. Each vastly different in certain respects. Goddess/Legends drops here, capes there, gold drop rate, gold increase per mob etc. etc.

If it had been me, I might have chalked it up to, "Hey, they really have the gold increased here!"

Soon after I would have then began to wonder why. Is the economy already so poor that this change was necessary? I might have continued to play, I might have uninstalled and moved on.

http://battle-for-dwater.net16.net/

9Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:19 am

[GA]rink245

[GA]rink245
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador

c0matose wrote:I'll play devil's advocate as well. I've played on upwards to about half a dozen pservers now. Each vastly different in certain respects. Goddess/Legends drops here, capes there, gold drop rate, gold increase per mob etc. etc.

If it had been me, I might have chalked it up to, "Hey, they really have the gold increased here!"

Soon after I would have then began to wonder why. Is the economy already so poor that this change was necessary? I might have continued to play, I might have uninstalled and moved on.

^ this. I just thought it was part of the game.

10Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:12 am

[GM]Megaslayer

[GM]Megaslayer
Admin
Admin

As I said earlier this is water under the bridge. No all those who benefited are the type of players who will use it to create artificial ceilings on the AH for certain items.

We will monitor the AH and discussed strategies to see fair value prices for items on the AH. Granted there will always be that one or two individuals who are resellers, but it comes with the territory. Trust me, were not going to play into that mentality or make it easy for them.

@rink, I see where you are coming from as a regular player. That's part of the reason that those players will keep the gold they made. In part it was honestly made and it was our bad that the drop rates of those SNVB's were too high.

What I do want those who read this to pull from this...

I don't expect regular players to view the game economy as I do. As part of Dwater management it's part of our job to make sure that there is more stability than not within our game structure. I hope these players now share a small piece of our view of the game economy.

11Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Skidz

Now we talking
Now we talking

@rink Havin 300m from this?

I'm srry but that's just being loaded...
With Goddes selling for 20-40m you'd easily have your full set with 4 tops.
and even have enough money for linking the gear, while mostly it's just easy farming for linking.

Perhaps the effects of this are bigger then i thought in first.

12Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:38 pm

[GM]PierceME

[GM]PierceME
Admin
Admin

Skidz wrote:@rink Havin 300m from this?

and even have enough money for linking the gear, while mostly it's just easy farming for linking.

Your perspective is what the GM team thought of the most, and we do extend our apologies. Please,leave your thoughts, we want to hear them.

13Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Skidz

Now we talking
Now we talking

[GM]PierceME wrote:

Your perspective is what the GM team thought of the most, and we do extend our apologies. Please,leave your thoughts, we want to hear them.

I've already send my thoughts to GM MegaSlayer
Aks him to resend em to all GM's

14Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Yenky

Forum Noob
Forum Noob

I dont want to tell you 'told you so' ... but i told you so Razz

My opinion is that fortune coins create inflation... and i would really like to see them out from server... all levels of fortune coins. maybe its just me, i just dont like them Very Happy

15Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:49 pm

[GA]rink245

[GA]rink245
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador

That's exactly what I didn't want to do. ><

Since I have cash I didn't want to spend it on expensive Goddess making the game unfair for people who can't get the goddess gear because they are too expensive. There's a point that 4 goddess tops would be nice but it wouldn't be fun for other players and I don't want to create that type of environment.

16Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:19 pm

[GM]Megaslayer

[GM]Megaslayer
Admin
Admin

@Rink, i appreciate your honesty coming forward that you did benefit from the increased drop rate on the snob boxes. Thanks for taking the higher road and supporting the community.

17Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Skidz

Now we talking
Now we talking

rink245 wrote:

That's exactly what I didn't want to do. ><

Since I have cash I didn't want to spend it on expensive Goddess making the game unfair for people who can't get the goddess gear because they are too expensive. There's a point that 4 goddess tops would be nice but it wouldn't be fun for other players and I don't want to create that type of environment.
I'm not saying you would do it.

But remember that 50% of all player doesnt check forums...
50% doesnt know what they did "wrong"

18Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:29 pm

regix

regix
Tipsy is my idol
Tipsy is my idol

lol yeah Mega i just got my comp back today from re-imaging so i would have posted this sooner but i didn't know lvl 5 FCs were dropping to much i just thought we were getting lucky and since i haven't actually really truely farmed SVBs i wouldn't know if it was too high or not but i was with rink lvling for about 3 + lvls or so therefore i got a lot of SVBs but i truely didn't know if they were bugged or not i just thought that's how they dropped sorry about that

19Building Trust Empty Re: Building Trust Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:01 pm

[GM]Megaslayer

[GM]Megaslayer
Admin
Admin

Regix wrote:lol yeah Mega i just got my comp back today from re-imaging so i would have posted this sooner but i didn't know lvl 5 FCs were dropping to much i just thought we were getting lucky and since i haven't actually really truely farmed SVBs i wouldn't know if it was too high or not but i was with rink lvling for about 3 + lvls or so therefore i got a lot of SVBs but i truely didn't know if they were bugged or not i just thought that's how they dropped sorry about that

Well as long as you have the perspective, that's what is important. It's a valuable lesson. As mentioned before were not blaming players, but asking them to be more aware of certain things can have a negative impact on everyone. Even suspect calls might have merit. Thanks for reading this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum