Battle for Dwater
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The old BfDW forum - no game, just talk

You are not connected. Please login or register

Windows 64 bit install problem

+3
[GM]Tipsy
[GA]comatose
[GM]Megaslayer
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Windows 64 bit install problem Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:22 pm

[GM]Megaslayer

[GM]Megaslayer
Admin
Admin

A player came to me with an issue about an error "unsupported 16bit program" when trying to install. He believes it might be related to him running windows 64 on his machine. he is currently going to try virtual pc and use a 32 bit version to see if it can be used a work-a-round.

Any recommendations...

2Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Re: Windows 64 bit install problem Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:51 pm

[GA]comatose

[GA]comatose
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador

even on OS, the most recent SysReqs state Win7 64 isn't supported, only 32 bit

I've heard of some running the game with no problems on it though - so it's a shot in the dark really. Most use virtual PC to emulate WinXP

a few errors can occur if the install file downloaded is corrupt

http://battle-for-dwater.net16.net/

3Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Re: Windows 64 bit install problem Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:25 pm

[GM]Tipsy

[GM]Tipsy
Admin
Admin

i have windows 7 64 bit on my laptop and the game runs smooth with no issues

4Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Re: Windows 64 bit install problem Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:46 pm

[GA]LittleNuts

[GA]LittleNuts
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador

sounds like to me he may have bad registry files....may need to reinstall his OS.

5Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Re: Windows 64 bit install problem Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:59 pm

Pinky

Forum Noob
Forum Noob

Yeah, I run 3 or 4 different versions of shalya on 3 different PC's all running windows 7 64 bit and never have had any issues. If they are having an issue with the game running, it is most likely due to an issue specific to their computer and not an OS compatibility problem.

6Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Re: Windows 64 bit install problem Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:20 am

Yahon

Anti-Social
Anti-Social

It's not really an issue of running it on my OS, see'n that I recently just put windows 7 64x on my laptop. The problem is when I download the file, and go to execute it, it'll run as a 16bit program, which is unable to work on my 64bit OS. I've tried a few work-arounds and almost found a few solutions, but they failed in the end. I still have a few more to try and really want this installer to work so I may play B4DW.

7Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Re: Windows 64 bit install problem Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:38 am

[GA]comatose

[GA]comatose
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador

sounds like the install file is corrupt - I haven't been successful in getting the installer uploaded elsewhere

You could check the md5 checksum of the installer file you've downloaded

the checksum I've got on the file is: 8021369C8EE3AD4095D0547F7EB97596

A pretty simple md5 checksum app can be found here

Highlight and copy the checksum above so it's in the windows clipboard. When you open the utility, the checksum will appear in the upper text box. Make sure there is a dot in the "Verify an MD5 checksum" then click Browse to the location of Battle_for_Dwater.exe and select that file. The check process will begin automatically. If the hashes do not match, try downloading the setup again, with nothing else running. When it completes, check the checksum again.

8Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Re: Windows 64 bit install problem Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Pinky

Forum Noob
Forum Noob

Is this happening when INSTALLING the game, or just when you're trying to RUN the game after installing?

If you have access to another computer, just install the game on that computer, then copy the installed game folder to portable media and put it into the program files folder on the PC you can't run the install on. See if it's just the installation that you can't get to work, this bypasses having to install it. You'll just need to create your own desktop/start menu shortcuts.

9Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Re: Windows 64 bit install problem Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Lithium

Lithium
I can Talk
I can Talk

I have Win7 64bit on my main PC and shalya runs just fine. Is it a specific file that causes the error? If so and its the game.exe or the updater.exe try right clicking on the file and click PROPERTIES and then COMPATIBILITY and then run the program in COMPATIBILITY MODE FOR and chose like WINXP, see if that helps.

http://dwater.guildlaunch.com

10Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Re: Windows 64 bit install problem Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Yahon

Anti-Social
Anti-Social

It's not any of the shalya files itself after installing it. It's the main file to RUN the installer, which you download from mega. I'm trying your suggestion Coma

11Windows 64 bit install problem Empty Re: Windows 64 bit install problem Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:01 am

[GA]comatose

[GA]comatose
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador

so it's the Battle_for_Dwater.exe you've downloaded?

I'd give Pinky's suggestion a try if you have access to another computer:

Pinky wrote:If you have access to another computer, just install the game on that computer, then copy the installed game folder to portable media and put it into the program files folder on the PC you can't run the install on. See if it's just the installation that you can't get to work, this bypasses having to install it. You'll just need to create your own desktop/start menu shortcuts.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum