The old BfDW forum - no game, just talk

You are not connected. Please login or register

TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:58 pm

[GA]comatose

[GA]comatose
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador
There will be times I'll ask you to post a HiJackThis log (I'll refer to this as HJT from here on out). Sometimes this sounds daunting, but it's really very easy.

First, go to TrendMicro's HiJackThis website. There you will see:

TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Hjt_dl

All you need is the executable, so download that to your desktop. The file is very small < 400K

When you double-click HJT, you'll see the following screen. Click on the high-lighted button.

TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Hjt_main

While HJT is running (usually no longer than 1 minute), you'll see this screen:

TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Hjt_run

Once completed, up will pop your log in your default text editor (mine is notepad):

TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Hjt_log

The HJT screen will also now have all of the options enabled (I'll come back to this in a minute):

TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Hjt_fix

With your text editor window open, hit CTRL+A on your keyboard to highlight all of the text. Now CTRL+C to copy.

In the thread you started about your issue, I'll ask for this log.

Use the [ code ] [ /code ] tags for the text. For example:

Code:
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

Once I've had the time to go over your log, if nothing seems out of the ordinary then we'll move on. If I do see something wrong, HJT can take care of that for you. On the screen where I highlighted the
"Fixed Checked" button, I'll have you place a check mark next to those entries.

You don't have to keep HJT open until you hear from me. The 'bad' entries will still be there when you run it again. When you click the Fix Checked button, you'll get a warning about deleting those entries, click "Yes"

You'll restart your computer and if all is well, the problem will be fixed.

Hope this little guide helps when you're asked to provide a HJT log.

Last edited by c0matose on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

If the server is , what are you doing looking at my signature?
if offline, go do my dishes.

"man up buttercups!"
http://battle-for-dwater.net16.net/

2TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:08 pm

[GM]PierceME

[GM]PierceME
Admin
Admin
I know that was technically in English, but...
I just hope i never have any issues, lmao.

So fine of you to do this. Really, thanks very much.

3TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 pm

[GM]Tipsy

[GM]Tipsy
Admin
Admin
[GM]PierceME wrote:I know that was technically in English, but...
I just hope i never have any issues, lmao.

So fine of you to do this. Really, thanks very much.

me no speak americano

siggi by Faith Very Happy

4TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:23 pm

[GM]Megaslayer

[GM]Megaslayer
Admin
Admin
what would be some common issues that this software would be beneficial for correcting?

~Siggie by Sinful~

5TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:02 am

[GA]comatose

[GA]comatose
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador
[GM]Megaslayer wrote:what would be some common issues that this software would be beneficial for correcting?

mainly spyware - that being where you have random pop-ups, IE suddenly opening going to some website, not being able to surf to specific sites or any....the list can go and on about some of the crazy things spyware/malware does to a system

"man up buttercups!"

6TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:45 am

[GM]Megaslayer

[GM]Megaslayer
Admin
Admin
I'm with you now. Both of those issues are ones that can wreak havoc.

~Siggie by Sinful~

7TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:39 am

[GA]rink245

[GA]rink245
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador
c0matose wrote:
[GM]Megaslayer wrote:what would be some common issues that this software would be beneficial for correcting?

mainly spyware - that being where you have random pop-ups, IE suddenly opening going to some website, not being able to surf to specific sites or any....the list can go and on about some of the crazy things spyware/malware does to a system

I just use ad block plus on firefox. Prevents pop-ups and these things you described. Much simpler

8TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:21 pm

[GA]comatose

[GA]comatose
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador
rink245 wrote:
c0matose wrote:

I just use ad block plus on firefox. Prevents pop-ups and these things you described. Much simpler

I use adblock + Noscript in firefox

"man up buttercups!"

9TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:46 pm

[GA]rink245

[GA]rink245
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador
Does noscript prevent javascripts from loading all the way that slows down the page development? I've never heard or used that before but that seems like the correct function of that.

But besides pop-ups and such does this have any other uses. It looks interesting, but I wouldn't want to mess with it unless I have a reason too.

10TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:50 pm

[GA]comatose

[GA]comatose
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador
rink245 wrote:Does noscript prevent javascripts from loading all the way that slows down the page development? I've never heard or used that before but that seems like the correct function of that.

But besides pop-ups and such does this have any other uses. It looks interesting, but I wouldn't want to mess with it unless I have a reason too.

It can, and in some cases you want those scripts to run, which is why I like the ability to pick the pages I will allow scripts to run from.

"man up buttercups!"

11TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:51 pm

[GA]rink245

[GA]rink245
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador
c0matose wrote:
rink245 wrote:Does noscript prevent javascripts from loading all the way that slows down the page development? I've never heard or used that before but that seems like the correct function of that.

It can, and in some cases you want those scripts to run, which is why I like the ability to pick the pages I will allow scripts to run from.

Wait so noscript prevents all java's from running or can you subscribe to different lists in a similar manner to ABP?

12TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial Empty Re: TrendMicro HiJackThis tutorial on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:59 pm

[GA]comatose

[GA]comatose
Game Ambassador
Game Ambassador
rink245 wrote:
c0matose wrote:

Wait so noscript prevents all java's from running or can you subscribe to different lists in a similar manner to ABP?

correct, it only allows what's in the whitelist.

some people take the default, some create their own

"man up buttercups!"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum